Skip to content


Quick facts:

  • Please read before you contact me with your questions.
  • Our licenses are contingent upon adhering to ATF and California DOJ requirements. The verification of our compliance with these standards relies on scrutinizing the documents acquired during the background check. Without the appropriate documentation, our business operation license is at risk.
  • We reserve the right to decline conducting background checks for individuals without the required documents. It’s important to note that statements such as “my other FFL accepted it, it’s good” do not necessarily confirm the appropriateness of the document. Please be prepared with your documents. You are responsible for reading all the information provided on this page.
  • Buying Firearm from 3rd party sellers, please read here: Buying Gun from Other Store
  • Buying Ammo from 3rd party vendor, please read here:
  • Private party transfers (PPT) Please read this page:
  • If you need my FFL license . FFL and California Firearm License linked here.
  • Contacting me: It is best to contact me via email at [email protected] since it is the fastest way for me to respond to your questions.
  • I understand your enthusiasm about receiving your firearm. However, I kindly request that you refrain from reaching out to me immediately upon receiving a notification from UPS or FedEx regarding your firearm’s arrival. We have a specific procedure to adhere to due to the extensive regulations imposed by local, state, and federal authorities. Please wait for me to send you an email with an invitation to schedule your appointment. I must have the firearm in my possession to do the transfer so wait before requesting an appointment.
    *** If you have received notification of a delivery from UPS, FedEx, or USPS, please contact me the next day if you haven’t received an email from us. However, do check your spam folder first.
  • Firearm Safety Devices (FSD) – aka gun locks, bore locks, trigger locks. Many guns and rifles come equipped with a Firearm Safety Device (FSD) in the box; however, some may not. If your firearm did not include an FSD, we will notify you via email. It’s crucial to be aware that having an FSD is legally required. On the day of the background check, you must bring the receipt dated within the last 30 days along with the FSD. Please note that we will not accept receipts without the accompanying FSD, and Amazon receipts without the FSD will also be rejected.
  • If you find yourself without an FSD on the first day, you will be required to purchase one from us for $7. If you have a safe and wish to sign the Safe Affidavit, be prepared to provide the make and model. For those with handgun safes, ensure that the make and model are on the list of approved gun locks from the Department of Justice’s website. Compliance with these requirements is essential for a smooth transaction. For the list of handgun safe, please go to this webpage: Roster of Firearm Safety Devices Certified for Sale | State of California – Department of Justice – Office of the Attorney General
  • IMPORTANT: Used tax will be collected if California sales tax was not collected. Read more here for further explanation (or scroll down):
  • Customers have 30 calendar days to complete the entire transfer from the time you receive the initial email to schedule your background check. Read more here. Storage fees will apply after the 30th day.
  • If you use marijuana or other illicit drugs, you are considered by the Federal Government to be ineligible to own a firearm.
How to contact me?

To contact me, please use the contact form on my website or send an email to [email protected]. Please note that I typically respond to emails much faster than to text messages or voice mails. READ EVERYTHING ON THIS PAGE before you email me with your questions.

Documents required for your background check for handguns, long guns, or ammunition purchase.

  1. Identification: A DMV ID or driver’s license is mandatory, or a Military ID with current PERMANENT duty station orders posting in California. Note that a temporary DMV ID is not acceptable, even if it was accepted by your previous FFL.
  2. Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) For firearms only: All background checks require an FSC. People who are exempted include individuals with a CCW, FFL3, peace officer status (retired or active), military service (active or reserve), or a hunting license (for long guns only).
  3. Firearm Safety Device (FSD) For firearms only: This refers to a California-approved gun safe, case, lockbox, or similar device designed to store a firearm securely. Compliance with this requirement is mandatory by law, and most firearms purchased in California come with an FSD.
  4. Transporting your firearm: For handguns, it’s necessary to lock the firearm when taking it home. You will receive additional instructions about whether to bring a lockbox (different from the FSD) if required. Most firearms manufacturer’s provide you the ability to lock your handgun during transport.
  5. “Federal Limits Apply”: Check your DMV ID or driver’s license for a “federal limits apply” label. If present, it indicates that the ID is not acceptable for official federal purposes. In such cases, you must provide a passport, birth certificate, green card, or a legal document proving your legal residence in the US, such as a work or student visa (I-94 for example).
  6. Current Address Verification: Ensure that your ID or driver’s license displays your current address. If not, provide government-related proof with an expiration date, such as a car registration, fishing or hunting license, CCW license, FFL3 license, or a CALFIRE campfire permit. A campfire permit is free, and it will only take you 3 minutes to complete. Prevent Wild Fire | Campfire Permit (
  7. Work Visa or Student Visa holders – The Second Amendment extends to all legal residents of the United States. When purchasing a handgun or rifle, familiarize yourself with the required documentation as written. Also, bring your foreign passport, additional documents to prove you legally entered USA, and a hunting license (hunting license requirement is for purchasing firearms only). All these documents are necessary to begin a background check.

For AMMUNITION – Bring #1, #5, #6, #7 (whatever applies to your circumstances). If your address changed since you purchased your last firearm, you can ask us to check your background if it will be approved the same day or not. Just send us a copy of your DMV ID along with your current address if it’s not updated on your ID.

If you have FFL3 with COE or CCW, please bring them so that we can skip certain requirements.

Background Check: The mentioned documents should satisfy the background check requirements for a long gun. For handguns or AR pistols, additional “proof of residency” is needed. The supporting documents mentioned in the FSC section can serve as “proof of residency.” If not, utility bills like PG&E, water, or others connected to your residence are acceptable. Cell phone or bank statements are not considered valid. Please read below for further details.

Waiting Period (For firearms only): After completing the required checks, there is a mandatory 10-day waiting period before you can take possession of your firearm. This waiting period begins on the day of your initial appointment. You can also check your DROS paperwork for the exact date and time.

Background check does expire in 30 days (For firearms only), so make sure you return to pick up your firearm before the 30 days. If you go beyond the 30 days, we will have to repeat the whole process over again including the 10-day waiting period.

Driver’s license with your current address.
Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC)
– Alternative to FSC – FFL3 w COE, CCW, police badge or retired police ID, hunting license.

For handguns, same documents as shotguns/rifles but you will need a proof of residency. You will need a FSC since a hunting license is only for long guns.

Utility bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual’s name and either of the following:

The individual’s current residential address as declared on the DROS form; or
The individual’s residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

“Utility bill” means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual’s residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired Internet, telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.

Residential lease that bears the individual’s name and either of the following:

  • The individual’s current residential address as declared on the DROS form; or
  • The individual’s address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

“Residential lease” means either of the following:

  • A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time; or
  • A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.

Property deed that bears the individual’s name and either of the following:

  • The individual’s current residential address as declared on the DROS form; or
  • The individual’s address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto. “Property deed” means either or the following:
    • A valid deed of trust for the individual’s property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust; or
    • A valid Certificate of Title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.

Current, government-issued license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual’s name and either of the following:

  • The individual’s current residential address as declared on the DROS form; or
  • The individual’s address as it appears on his or her California Driver License, California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

One easy proof of residency is a campfire permit which is FREE.  Go here: Prevent Wild Fire | Campfire Permit ( see below for requirement.

Examples of acceptable proof of residency:

  • Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit with your current address.
  • California Guard Card
  • Curio and Relic (C &R) Federal Firearms License (03 FFL) with name and address.
  • Current DMV Disabled Placard.
  • Current DMV Registrations.
  • Utility Bill within the last 3 months.
    • Cable bill
    • PG&E bill
    • Gas / Propane bill
    • Alarm bill
  • Resident Hunting License issued by Department of Fish and Wildlife
  • Fishing License: Commercial, Resident Sport, Lifetime, 1, 2, and 10 day licenses issued by the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
  • Signed, dated and rental agreement/contract.
  • Campfire Permit – Issue date must be within THIRTY (30) days of the background check.
    Go here to get the permit: Prevent Wild Fire | Campfire Permit (

Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:

  • DMV renewal letter.
  • Jury Summons
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE.)
  • Active Duty Military Spouse ID.
  • U.S. Passport
  • Bank Statement.
  • Brown Card.
  • Cellular Phone bill.
  • Fishing Validations and Report Cards.
  • Hunting license- Standard, Self-Filled.
  • Pay Stub.
  • Pink Slip
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Voter Registration.
  • Medicare / Medi-cal Billing Statement
  • Property tax statement
  • Proof of Auto Insurance
  • Medical Marijuana Card (Federal government prohibits marijuana users from owning firearms).
  • (Pen. Code, § 26845 and Cal. Code Reg., tit. 11, § 4045)
Returns and Store Policy


All canceled and returned orders will be charged a 30% restocking fee if we have placed the orders with our distributors. If we have not yet done so, we can just simply cancel and refund your money. All sales are final, included are firearms and ammunition (including optics) once DROS have been delivered.  

Any order not placed on TACTICCAL (3rd party sellers) that surpasses 21 days and we haven’t received the requested documents for your order. Your order will be canceled, and funds returned minus the 30% restocking fee.  

 This is important information regarding firearm returns: Please inspect all firearms thoroughly at the FFL dealer before proceeding with the transfer. Once a new firearm is transferred to you from the FFL, it is considered used, even if unfired, and we cannot guarantee acceptance of the return. Please note that we do not reimburse FFL transfer fees for returned items. While some manufacturer defects may not be identifiable upon initial inspection, if you discover a defect after accepting the transfer, you must return the firearm directly to the manufacturer for replacement or repair in accordance with their warranty policy. This helps you avoid unnecessary transfer fees through your local FFL dealer. If we receive a defective firearm that has already been transferred, we will forward it to the manufacturer on your behalf.  Manufacturer-repaired firearms can be returned directly to the customer without additional FFL transfer or associated fees.  However, if the manufacturer chooses to replace the firearm, the replacement firearm must transfer through your local FFL dealer to document the new serial number (this will require a background check).  Please note that we will not cover any additional transfer fees in this situation.

Single-Shot or Bolt Action Pistols: We offer returns for unused parts or incomplete transfers of manufactured single-shot and bolt action pistols manufactured by TacticCAL. However, transfers that have been completed or used cannot be returned. 

DROS fees are non-refundable for any reason.

Read the entire policy here:

Required Documentation – ID without your current address

Your ID / Driver’s license must have your current address to purchase rifles or handguns (firearms). If not, you will need to provide evidence that you live in the address that is typed on the background check. This is usually a bit harder for some buyers to provide.

You will need to provide additional documentation if your current address is not on your driver’s license or ID. If must be government related proof with expiration dates such as:

  • Water and / or garbage bill from the city which has your name and address.
  • Car Registration from DMV
  • Hunting license from a state government
  • Fishing License: Commercial, Resident Sport, Lifetime, 1, 2, and 10 day licenses
  • Campfire Permit – Issue date must be within THIRTY (30) days of the background check.
    Go here to get the permit: Prevent Wild Fire | Campfire Permit (

Anything that has your name and address that is issued by local or state governments to supplement and complete your ID/ Driver’s license. Again, it my be from a government entity not a private company such as PG&E

  • The Brady Act incorporates the definition of an “identification document” provided by 18 U.S.C. 1028(d)(2), which is set forth in relevant part as follows: [A] document made or issued by or under the authority of the United States Government, a State, political subdivision of a State, a foreign government, political subdivision of a foreign government, an international governmental or an international quasi-governmental organization which, when completed with information concerning a particular individual, is of a type intended or commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.

You can go to this link to read more about owning a firearm in California:

Required Documentation – ID / Driver’s License with “Federal Limits Apply”:

federal limit apply

You will need additional documentation to prove you are living here legally even if you were born in U.S.A. The picture on the RIGHT (woman) with the golden bear means you’re good. The picture in the LEFT (man) means you have to provide proof.

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
  • Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate
  • U.S. Certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen
  • Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form
  • Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory
  • Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card

If your name, as it appears on the California driver license or identification card that has “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, differs from the name on the document(s) above, you must present one of the following certified documents:

  • An adoption document that contains your legal name as a result of the adoption.
  • A name change document that contains your legal name both before and, as a result of, the name change.
  • A marriage certificate.
  • A dissolution of marriage document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action.
  • A certificate, declaration or registration document verifying the formation of a domestic partnership.
  • A dissolution of domestic partnership document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action. (Cal. Code Reg., tit. 11, § 4045.1.)

If your ID has the golden bear like the picture above then you’re good to go.

I’ve Ordered! What’s next?

From TacticCAL
If you’ve placed an order on my website, TacticCAL Gun Store, please expect a delivery time of approximately 4-7 business days for handguns and 10-14 days for long guns. Once the firearm arrives at our office, we will promptly get in touch with you to provide further details and initiate the background check process. Your patience during this period is greatly appreciated, and we look forward to assisting you further.

From 3rd Party Sellers
Once you purchased your firearm, the seller will ask who is your FFL and their licenses. See the link of my FFL below. Send the that link or you can download it then send it to them (whatever works).

MY California Firearm Dealer license is 23996

The internet firearm retailer (seller) will then ship the firearm to me (FFL dealer).

Once I (FFL dealer) receive your firearm or ammo, you will receive an Email from me with a link to create your appointment to do the required paperwork.

At the end of our first appointment, you will receive another link to create your second appointment.

You are required to wait 10 days to get approved. Once approved, you can return to pick up your firearm. 10 days x 24 hours and nothing less.

When does the 10 days waiting period start?

10 days starts when I submit the form to State of California (our first scheduled meeting to fill out the paperwork).


When you order through an internet retailer, you will either be given a choice of your FFL dealer right before or after your order. If not, you will be asked to send the FFL dealer information of your choice via E-mail after you purchased your firearm. It is not required for you to have a Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) to purchase online. They only need your money $$.

Here is my FFL information linked.

If you have questions, please use this email: [email protected]

If your package is on hold for pick up and it has not be picked up that same day, please email me to let me know (include the tracking #).

Do I need approval to use your FFL services?

In general, you do not need my permission to purchase a firearm. However, if you are planning to buy one, it’s best to inform me since I sell firearms online and you may be able to save money by purchasing through me. You can also check out my online gun store at ( (shortened URL ) for more options.

Please note that California has strict regulations regarding firearms, and all required documents must be submitted during the first appointment, not on the day of pickup.

If you do not have the necessary documents, it’s advisable to wait until you have them before attempting to purchase a firearm or start your background check. I highly recommend reading all required documents on this page before buying a firearm.

While I want to assist you, please understand that firearm transfers can be time-consuming, and I act only as a middleman between you and the seller. If you decide to purchase a firearm, it’s important to ask the seller if the item is California legal or not.

FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL – Why does it take so long?

I need to include the following information, as many people have been emailing me about their packages. Unfortunately, once a package is enroute, I have very little control over it. While I may be able to place a hold on certain packages, most sellers do not allow it. One issue I have had is with FedEx Ground, and this seems to be a problem for other FFL dealers as well. However, the good news is that since I started my business, only one package has ever been returned, and it was not due to any fault of mine.

UPS is generally on time with their estimated delivery, and some of my packages are automatically held at the UPS facility for me to pick up, while others are delivered directly to my business.

USPS attempts delivery before 1pm, but since I am not open at that time, they leave a notice or door tag for me to pick up the package the following day.

FedEx Express is similar to UPS, and I know both drivers, who usually come around 3pm.

Many sellers use FedEx Ground for delivery, especially for ammunition. You can identify a FedEx Ground package by the location of the last destination before delivery, which is usually Newark, California. Currently, the delivery person for FedEx Ground is very consistent. However, FedEx Ground is known to update their app stating that they attempted delivery when, in fact, they never came. So please don’t ask me if your package has arrived based on these updates.

If a package is on hold for over 24 hours, please let me know, so I can pick it up right away.

Sales Tax !!!

To help you better understand the tax process, here are some important details to keep in mind:

  • The following websites/stores collect California sales tax: Ammunition Depot, Brownells, Buds Gunshop, Gunbroker, Rainer Arms, Target Sport USA.
  • Before making a purchase, it’s best to ask the seller via email if you will be paying “California sales tax” or if they collect it on behalf of California. Sellers usually respond faster before you make the purchase.
  • If the seller responds and confirms that the sales tax collected was for California, then you don’t need to provide proof of payment at the time of pickup.
  • As the business owner, I am responsible for collecting and remitting all applicable taxes on your purchase. If you cannot provide proof of payment at the time of pickup, you will be charged use tax. However, if you later provide proof of payment, you will receive a refund.
  • I may request that you provide the receipt prior to the scheduled appointment.
  • It’s important to note that taxes you’ve paid may not necessarily be California sales tax. It could be the seller’s own local tax. Therefore, simply telling me that you paid tax will not be accepted. The receipt must specifically state “CA tax” on it.
  • If you purchased your item in California, you’re all set.
  • For Gunbroker purchases, please provide me with the Gunbroker receipt.
  • When contacting the seller, make sure to ask them specifically if the sales tax collected was for California. Include the words “California sales tax” in your email. Sometimes, the sales tax you’ve already paid could be the seller’s own local tax and not California sales tax. So, it’s important to clarify this with the seller.
  • Here’s an example of what you can write to the seller in your email: “Is the sales tax I paid a California sales tax?” Please be specific in your email. Once you receive a reply, please forward it to me.

I hope this clarifies the process for you. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Why do gun dealers have to collect taxes? You can read more about it here:

Required Documentation – NOT US CITIZEN (Firearm & Ammo)

If you’re not a US citizen, please bring your permanent visa ID (green card) or other forms to provide proof that you are living here in the good USA legally.

If you have I-94 work visa, please bring I-94 document and your hunting license.

  • ID/driver’s license without current address?  Go here:
  • ID/driver’s license “Federal Limits Apply”?  Go here:
  • Not a US Citizen?
    • Bring your permanent residency card (green card).
    • I-94 with a hunting license is required for those with work visas.

Buying a handgun – read here:

Buying a rifle – read here:

My Fees

FFL fee Transfer: $100 (firearm, lower receiver, ammo) + Ca State Firearm Transfer fee: $37.19
Additional second or each additional firearms are $40

For Ammo Only $30 + State fee: $1 ($19 if you’re not in the system)
$30 per package shipped (if the 1000 rounds of ammo arrived in one box then it’s just $30 but if it came in two boxes then it is $30 each package shipped).

Firearm Safety Certificate: $25 (state fee $15 + FFL Fee $10)

Shipping Firearm to another FFL dealer in California or another State $100 which does not include shipping. Shipping average $35-75 depending if it’s a handgun or rifle. Handguns tend to be more since it requires next day air delivery.

If you purchase more than one firearm/lower receiver/ serialized parts, each firearm will incur a FFL fee and State fee.

Firearm Safety Device (FSD) (Required by law)

To comply with the law, it is necessary for you to have a lock on your firearm. Most firearms come with a FSD (Firearm Safety Device), but I will inform you if yours does not. If you have purchased a lower receiver, it will not come with a FSD. Please provide proof of purchase of the FSD on the first appointment. You will be required to purchase one from me if you do not have it ready.

If you purchase a FSD, please bring the receipt with you. California Department of Justice (DOJ) requires that you purchase the FSD within 30 days of the background check. Without a receipt, it cannot be accepted.

When you receive an email instructing you to schedule your appointment, I will let you know if you need a FSD or not. On your first appointment, please bring the FSD with you as DOJ requires me to document the make and numbers on the DROS (Dealer’s Record of Sale) form. Please ensure that your FSD is approved by checking the DOJ’s FSD chart for retail, available at I also provide a DOJ-approved FSD for $7.00. NOTE: If you plan to purchase a FSD from somewhere else, PLEASE SEND YOUR RECEIPT TO ME PIROR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT. IF FROM AMAZON, PRINT OUT A PDF OF THE INVOICE. SEND TO [email protected] It must be a proper receipt that was purchased within 30 days of your background check.

Alternatively, you may choose to fill out the Safe Affidavit form instead of purchasing a new FSD. Please complete the form and bring it with you on the first day, leaving the dates blank. The form is available at BOF 978-Affidavit Gun Safe or Lock Box (

Please also note that if you have children under 18 years old living with you, and your firearm is used to harm or kill themselves or someone, you will be held legally liable. For more information on Firearm Safety Devices, please read the FAQ at

Firearm Safety Certificate (Required by law)

It is required by law that you have a firearm safety certificate. If you do not have your firearm safety cert., I can provide you the certificate for $25. You will have to take the test and will be given two chances to pass. If you fail the second time, you will have to comeback another day and pay again.

You can find sample test by Googling online so study before the test.

What kind of firearms can I purchase?

In many states, any type of firearm can be purchased, but not in California. Our politicians have severely restricted our 2nd Amendment rights by finding every possible way to limit, hinder, and frustrate every law-abiding citizen’s ability to own firearms.

HANDGUN Purchase:

To ensure that the pistol or revolver you intend to buy is legal in California, you must check the California Handgun Roster. If it’s not listed, you CANNOT own it in California. You can check the list here:

The only way to purchase an off-roster handgun (a handgun not on the roster) is through a private party transfer (person-to-person transfer). Peace officers can purchase brand new off-roster handguns, and you can also own brand new off-roster handguns through a lineal descendent from out of state via gift (your sons/daughters, grandparents, great-grandson or great-grandparents). You absolutely cannot get it by way of cousins, sisters/brothers, step-parents, etc. (it must be blood lines through a lineal descendent).

You can purchase off roster handguns that are 50 years or older.

You can purchase off roster revolvers that are single shot, five-cartridge capacity , 3 inches or longer barrel, and 7.5 inches in total length.


RIFLE or Long Gun Purchase:

If the rifle is single-shot (manually reloaded after each shot), such as a bolt action, lever action, or hunting rifles, it can be legally owned in California (50 caliber rifle is illegal).

If the rifle is a semi-automatic, then you have two choices: fixed mag or non-fixed mag. You can read the laws here:,the%20action%20of%20the%20weapon.

If you’re buying a new or used semi-automatic rifle, please make sure it’s not listed on this banned list:

Magazine Restriction:

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device for a repeating firearm, either integral within the gun (internal/fixed magazine) or externally attached (detachable magazine). The magazine functions by holding several cartridges within itself and sequentially pushing each one into a position where it may be readily loaded into the barrel chamber by the firearm’s moving action.

California has a 10-round or less magazine restriction for rifles and handguns. Anything over this limit is illegal.

Large-capacity magazines are generally illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend in California. However, continued possession of large-capacity magazines that you owned in California prior to January 1, 2000, is legal provided you are not otherwise prohibited. A person prohibited from possessing firearms is also prohibited from owning or possessing any magazines or ammunition. (Pen. Code, §§16150, subd. (b), 30305, 32310.)

I only have a H1B visa or Other type of temporary visa (not permanent resident visa or green card holders)

YES, you can purchase a firearm! All you need is a hunting permit or license. If you leave the country permanently, just do a PPT prior to leaving the US. Please bring your work visa, foreign passport, DMV ID/DL, and hunting license when you are ready to do your background check.

You can start here:

Private Party Transfer (PPT) Questions

Our policy –

Can I purchase off roster handguns from cops?
Please be aware that you can only purchase an off-roster firearm from certain peace officer (city cops/correctional officers – see Penal Code 32000 (b)(4)) and provide some sort of proof which police department he/she belongs. “Trust me, I’m a cop” will not do. If you cannot provide a proof before the appointment, then please use another FFL dealer.

Penal Code 32000 (b)(6) – these group of peace officers can only sell to other police officer.
A person licensed pursuant to Penal Code sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in Penal Code section 32000, subdivision (b), paragraph (6) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of Penal Code section 32000 (Pen. Code, § 32000, subd. (c)(1)).,jail%20not%20exceeding%20one%20year.

PPT can only occur if the seller (owner of the gun) and the buyer are present to do the transfer. This is a requirement from California DOJ.

Required documentations remains the same.

PPT buyer and seller must be a California resident.

PPT cost is set by the State of California – $37.19 + $10.00 = $47.19 total

If the buyer fails the background check, the seller (original owner of the firearm) will be required by law to do the background check + FFL Fee $47.19.

What if I purchased a used firearms (online) outside California?

If you purchased a firearms outside California, the firearm is considered like a “new firearm” transfer. If it is a handgun, it must be on the California Handgun Roster (

What do I need to do the PPT of my firearm?

Please read the “documentations” notes above.

Both parties must be present on the first meeting. The firearm will need to be logged into my bound books. If the buyer’s background check fails, then the seller will need to pay $37.19 + $53 FFL fee to get the firearm back. Once a firearm is logged into my bound books, to return it to the owner, it requires a background check by law.

On the day of pickup, only the buyer will need to show up.

Firearm Safety Device:

It is required by law that you have a lock on your firearm. If you do not have one, please bring a lock for the firearm.

If you have children under 18 y/o living in your dwelling, the firearm is used to hurt/kill someone, the owner will be in legal trouble.

FSD – firearm safety device is required for PPT. See FSD notes above.

Read this FAQ regarding Firearm Safety Device:

What if I have “Federal Limits Apply” on my ID/driver’s license?

If the purchaser is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing the firearms dealer with documentation containing his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number. See the “documentation” above.

If you’re 18-20 years of age

For Californian citizens aged 18-20, the hunting license is required for, and limited to *long gun purchases. *18-20 year olds may no longer purchase semi-automatic center fire rifles or their corresponding lower receivers. You are also not allowed to purchase handguns.

18-20 years old can own firearms through familial transfers. Your parents can gift you a firearm and once they receive the firearm, they can then fill out the form linked below.

Familial Firearm Transfer

Limit your Intra-familial transfer to once per year. It’s very uncommon for your parents to gift you expensive guns.

Watch this handsome devil:
Interstate Familial Transfer
Intra Familial Transfer (within California)

If You’re Moving to California

If you’re crazy enough to move to California with your firearms, here’s what you need to know.

  • Don’t call me or email me.
  • You do not need a FFL dealer to transfer the firearms to yourself. See the link below.
  • You do not need to ship it to a FFL dealer.
  • Ship it with your moving company or fly it over.
    • check with the moving company.
    • check with the airline about their policy regarding carrying a firearm in your CHECK IN luggage.
  • If it’s an assault weapon, then get rid of it.
  • If it’s a handgun that’s not on the roster, then you’re still fine. You own it so you can have it.
  • If you will be moving here, make sure you buy all the handguns you want that is NOT on the roster before moving. Once you’re a California resident, you cannot buy any off roster handgun unless you are willing to pay top dollars via PPT.
  • You have Ammo?
    • Go to the range and have fun.
    • Sell it before moving.
    • Give it to a friend.
    • Talk to the moving company if they allow it.

You have 60 days to report the firearms. Fill this PDF, follow the direction, and send it in:

Firearm Storage Fee

You will receive an email from me on the day that I receive your firearm. You will have 30 days to complete the background and pick up of your firearm without incurring storage fee.

The 30 calendar days will commence once the firearm is delivered to the FFL office and the client (buyer) received an email from the FFL Dealer Sunnyvale to schedule your first appointment.

Storage FEE:
$3/day per firearm will be charged from the 31st day until the 40th day.
$5 per day per firearm will be charged from the 41st day.

Customers have 30 calendar days to complete the transfer of firearms or ammo, unless other arrangements have been made between the customer and the FFL Dealer Manager. Customers that have not completed the transfer will be assessed a $3/per-day per firearm storage fee after the 30th day then $5/per day fee PER FIREARM or per package of ammo after the 40th/day until either the firearm/package of ammo has been picked up or the value of the firearm or the cost of labor has been reached. Once the storage fee exceeds the cost of labor and/or the value of the firearm, the firearm(s) will be considered abandoned and will become the property of FFL Dealer Sunnyvale.