Steps in buying a gun or rifle.

What Do I need to know?

Quick facts:

  1. You can purchase as much firearm you want online that ships to an FFL. HOWEVER, you can only receive one firearm (handgun & rifle) per 30 days from your local FFL dealer.
  2. I must have the firearm in my possession to do the transfer so wait before scheduling an appointment.
  3. There is a 10 days waiting period for you to take your firearm home. The 10 days starts on the day of your first appointment.
  4. You can only purchase handguns that are listed in the California Handgun Roster. Those who are peace officers, California residents making PPT, and intra-familial transfers are exempted.
  5. If you buy more than one firearm, each firearm will need to be DROS'ed (processed) individually and 30 days apart. Each firearm will incur FFL fee and state fee.
  6. AMMO purchase is unlimited but it must be from the same company.
  7. It is required that each firearm has a "FSD" or firearm safety device which prevents the firearm from discharging. Each firearm usually includes a FSD. Used firearms and some new ones do come in without one. If FSD is not included then you must purchase one within 30 days of the transfer. I will inform you if you should require one. If you do not have it on the day of pick-up then you must purchase from me for $15.

What's your fee?

FFL fee Transfer: $53 (firearm, lower receiver, ammo)

Ca State Firearm Transfer fee: $37.19

For Ammo State fee: $1 or $19 + FFL Fee (for now, no limit on ammo)

Additional ammo FFL Fee if you’ve purchased a firearm and ammo together - $20 each but must be from same company.

Private Party Transfer (PPT) - $47.19 total (please scroll down about PPT information).

Firearm Safety Certificate: $25 (state fee $15 + FFL Fee $10)

Shipping Firearm to another FFL dealer in California or another State.

For ammo only purchase, no limit ($53 + $1 or $19 depending if you purchased a firearm in the last two decades).

If you’re purchasing a firearm, I suggest you also purchase ammo since it will only cost you $20 more and save you time getting in line if you buy it locally. There is no limit -20 ammo or 5000 ammo. Must be from same company (It is time consuming to pick up several boxes on different dates).

If you purchase more than one firearm/lower receiver/ serialized parts, each firearm will incur a FFL fee $53 and State fee $37.19.

As of July 2021, you can only purchase one firearm per 30 days per California law. California DOJ will not approve more than one firearm per submission through the DES DROS system. Unfortunately, each firearm will be a separate appointment and submission thus it will be additional cost to you. Online retail stores will allow you to buy two or more firearm but it will take one month per firearm per DROS submission for you to have it in your possession.

What do I need when I come in for my appointment?

If you intend to use my services, please fill out my contact form here for timely processing:


If you would like to purchase guns and ammunition, you must first have a valid California ID or Driver License. Double check the spelling of your LEGAL NAME, and the address to make sure it is correct. If the ID/DL says "FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY" *, you must bring in your US Birth Certificate or Passport proving that you are a United States citizen, or other legal documents proving that you are a non-citizen legally present in the US. You may not purchase a firearm if you are not legally in the USA.

*For name changes due to marriage or divorce, your marriage license and/or dissolution of marriage paperwork will be required if you have a "Federal Limits Apply" ID with your previous married/unmarried name.

*To avoid these complications, please get your Real ID.


To purchase a firearm, the CA DOJ requires individuals over the age of 21 to have a Firearm Safety Certificate, unless you are exempt law enforcement (Dept. ID required), active military (Valid DOD ID & orders required, 18+ for Long Guns), or in possession of a valid California CCW. For civilian citizens aged 18-20, the hunting license is required for, and limited to *long gun purchases. *18-20 year olds may no longer purchase semi-automatic center fire rifles or their corresponding lower receivers. Non-citizens are required to present a valid California Hunting License for all firearm purchases.

*The FSC Test can be taken in-store for $25. Study guides for the FSC Test are available in-store, and we recommend that you do not use online guides because they often contain old, irrelevant, conflicting information.


In the event that your ID doesn't show your current address or you are purchasing a handgun, you will need to provide an additional proof of your residence. Again, that proof must show your complete, LEGAL NAME and your current residential address. We would prefer your current CA DMV vehicle registration, CA Hunting License, or PG&E / City Utility / Cable or Internet Bill. If you use one of those bills, ensure that it is not more than 90 days old as of the submission of your background. We will NOT accept bills for cellular services, pay stubs, mortgage, credit/bank/financial statements of any kind, insurance cards, or medical bills.

*Click this DOJ link for up-to-date details regarding acceptable proofs of residence.


FFL Dealer Sunnyvale is requiring individuals with a "Federal Limits Apply" driver license or identification card to present proof of lawful presence. This may include one of the following documents:

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
  • Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate
  • U.S. Certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen
  • Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form
  • Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory
  • Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card

Do I need to get a Firearm Safety Certificate prior to my appointment?

No. If you do not have your firearm safety cert., I can provide your the certificate for $25. You will have to take the test and will be given two chances to pass. If you fail the second time, you will have to pay again.

You can find sample test online so study before the test.

Do I need permission to use your service?

You do not need to have my prior approval. However, you will need to fill out my contact form here:

  • Those who fill out my form will receive priority appointment.
  • Please forward any shipment tracking once you receive it from the seller.

Online Purchase

You're here because you've decided to purchase a firearm on the internet. Almost all internet firearm retail shops will sell you anything you want without any requirements. All you need is money!

You can purchase one or more firearms but it must be shipped to a FFL dealer or a gun shops (they possess FFL / permits) per federal and state laws.

All ammo & firearms (labeled by the government as a firearm), lower receiver, handguns, rifles, etc.) must go through a FFL dealer. Other components such as a rifle scope, upper receiver, barrel, etc will not require a FFL. These can be shipped directly to your house.

As of July 2021, a California resident can only purchase one rifle or one handgun in a 30 days period. If you purchased two firearms online, it will be processed 30 days apart. Each time will incur an FFL Fee and State fee. CA DOJ does not allow two firearms to be DROS'ed at the same time. Like I said above, you can buy two or more firearms but you will just have to comeback every 30 days for the subsequent firearms.

Is there a limit on the number of handguns that I can own or purchase?

There is no limit to the number of handguns that you may own but you are generally limited to purchasing no more than one handgun in any 30-day period. Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and certain other specific circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day purchase limit.

(Pen. Code,§ 27535.)

What kind of firearms can I purchase?

In many states, you can buy any type of firearms. Even cannon can be purchased but not here in California. Our politicians have severally restricted our 2nd Amendment rights. They have focused to find every possible way to limit,, hinder, and frustrate every law abiding citizens ability to own a firearms.

HANDGUN Purchase:

You must check the California Handgun Roster to make sure that the pistol or revolver you intend to buy is listed. If it's not listed, you CANNOT own it here in California. Check the list here:

The only way to purchase used off-roster handgun is through a private party transfer (person to person transfer). Off-roster means handguns that are not on the roster. Peace officers are allowed to purchase brand new off-roster handguns. You can also own brand new off-roster handguns through a lineal descendent from out of state via gift (your sons/daughters, grandparents, great grandson or great grandparents). You cannot absolutely NOT get it by way of cousins, sisters / brother, step-parents, etc. (it must be blood lines through lineal descendent).


RIFLE or Long Gun Purchase:

If the rifle is single shot (manually reloaded after each shot) such as a bolt action, lever action, hunting rifles, then it can be legally be owned here in California (50 caliber rifle is illegal).

If the rifle is a semi-automatic then you have two choices.

  • Fixed mag
  • Non-fixed mag

Please pay attention to these restrictions that I put together here:

You can also read the laws here:,the%20action%20of%20the%20weapon.

If you are buying a new or used semi-automatic rifle, please make sure it is not listed on this banned list:

Magazine Restriction:

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device for a repeating firearm, either integral within the gun (internal/fixed magazine) or externally attached (detachable magazine). The magazine functions by holding several cartridges within itself and sequentially pushing each one into a position where it may be readily loaded into the barrel chamber by the firearm's moving action.

California has a 10 round or less magazine restriction for rifles and handguns. Anything over this limit is illegal.

Are large-capacity magazines legal?

Generally, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine (able to accept more than 10 rounds) in California. However, continued possession of large-capacity magazines that you owned in California prior to January 1, 2000, is legal provided you are not otherwise prohibited. A person prohibited from possessing firearms is also prohibited from owning or possessing any magazines or ammunition.

(Pen. Code, §§16150, subd. (b), 30305, 32310.)

I've Ordered! What's next?


  • The internet firearm retailer (seller) will ship the firearm to a FFL dealer.
  • Once I (FFL dealer) receive your firearm, you will receive an Email, a call, or a text to arrange a time to meet to fill out the required paperwork.
  • Once the paperwork is filled out and submitted, you are required to wait 10 days (if the FFL dealer is located in the City of San Jose - 15 days waiting period per local ordinance) to get approved. Once approved, you can return to pick up your firearm.
  • 10 days x 24 hours - you will return to pick up your firearm.
  • When does the 10 days waiting period start?
    • 10 days starts when I submit the form to State of California (our first scheduled meeting to fill out the paperwork).


My Process:

When you order through an internet retailer, you will either be given a choice of your FFL dealer right before or after your order. If not, you will be asked to send the FFL dealer information of your choice via E-mail.

Here is my FFL information (the seller needs to open the link to read - some are too lazy to read it)

You don't have to pick the FFL dealer that the online retailer have on file, you can direct them who you chose. You're the buyer, you pick and they will abide by your choice.

They will then ship the firearm via FedEx, UPS, USPS. USPS and UPS are on time often enough but FEDEX is always ONE WEEK LATE and never on time (the deliver person is a nice guy though).

Once I receive the firearm, I will then schedule a meeting with you to complete the initial paperwork. The initial meeting will take 30 minutes to 45 minutes long.

Once you've completed the paperwork, I will arrange the next meeting (10 days later - 10 days x 24 hours) with you while you're in the office. When you return after the required 10th day, you will have to recertify the forms, sign, and go through the handgun safety demonstration before you can take the handgun home (this will take about 10-20 minutes long).

Do I have to pay sales tax again?

It depends if you can give me a proof that you've paid the sales tax or not. A receipt that states "Ca Sales Tax" will be great. If you do not have a receipt that states that the sales tax is from California, then I will need an email from the seller stating that they have collected the sales tax. A simple email asking their customer service (before or after purchase) whether they collect "California sales tax" with an answer stating they do collect CA sales tax will be a good enough proof for me.

Gunbroker buyers - All I will need is your receipt to prove that you purchased it from them.


When a California Federal Firearms Licensed dealer (FFL) completes the registration and transfer paperwork and delivers a firearm or ammunition to a California purchaser on behalf of either an out-of-state private party or an out-of-state retailer who is not registered with the CDTFA, the California FFL dealer is presumed to be the retailer of the firearm or ammunition and generally owes sales tax on the total amount of the sales price including any service charge or handling fees but excluding the DROS fee. This is by operation of law, only the California FFL dealer possessing the firearm or ammunition has authority to transfer title to the purchaser. As a California firearms dealer, you should obtain a copy of the sales contract or invoice from the out of state seller or the purchaser in order to determine the proper amount of tax due on the sale.

Note: On and after January 1, 1999, the CA DOJ transfer fee is not subject to tax.


If you sell firearms, ammunition, and related accessories, you must register with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) for a seller's permit, file sales and use tax returns, and make payments for tax due on your sales or purchases. You can use our online registration system to quickly and easily register for a seller's permit.

Importers, manufacturers and dealers (retailers) of firearms in the United States must first register with the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to obtain a Federal Firearms License (FFL) before making any sales of firearms. It is unlawful for any person other than a registered FFL holder to make sales or transfers of firearms between private parties or across state lines.

Can someone on temporary Visa own a firearm? I only have a H1B visa?

YES! All you need is a hunting permit or license.

You can start here:

Private Party Transfer (PPT) Questions??

PPT can only occur if the seller (owner of the gun) and the buyer are present to do the transfer. This is a requirement from California DOJ.

PPT buyer and seller must be a California resident.

PPT cost is set by the State of California - $37.19 + $10.00 = $47.19 total

If the buyer fails the background check, the seller (original owner of the firearm) will be required by law to do the background check + FFL Fee ($37.19 + $53 = $90.19 total).

Where do I start?

Fill out my form here:

Please give me three different dates with time so I can reply with the dates I am available.

There is no need to call me. If you have a question, just include it in the form.

What if I purchased a used firearmsoutside California?

Purchase of firearms outside California is considered like a "new firearm" transfer. If it is a handgun, it must be on the California Handgun Roster (

What do I need to do the PPT of my firearm?

Please read the question: "What do I need when I come in for my appointment?"

Both parties must be present on the first meeting. The firearm will need to be logged into my bound books. If the buyer's background check fails, then the seller will need to pay $37.19 + $53 FFL fee to get the firearm back. Once a firearm is logged into my bound books, to return it to the owner, it requires a background check by law.

On the day of pickup, only the buyer will need to show up.

Firearm Safety Device:

It is required by law that you have a lock on your firearm. If you do not have one, please bring a lock for the firearm. I can provide one for $30.

If you have children under 18 y/o living in your dwelling, the firearm is used to hurt/kill someone, the owner will be in legal trouble.

If you have a Lock Box or a Gun Safe, you can sign the affidavit. If you want to sign this form, please let me know so that I can prepare the form for you to sign. You will need to know the maker / model of the lock box / gun safe.

Read this FAQ regarding Firearm Safety Device:

What if I have "Federal Limits Apply" on my ID/driver's license?

If the purchaser is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing the firearms dealer with documentation containing his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Familial Firearm Transfer

under construction.....

Shipping FFL to FFL

My FFL shipping to other FFL dealers in California or other State.

FFL Fee: $75 which will be shipped in several days to10 days (packaged and shipped) (shipping fee not).

Here are some example of a shipment fee to Florida.

Here are some shipping price examples:
BOX size: 52inches/9inches/5inches box
17 pounds rifle
UPS 3day $53
UPS 2nd day air $70

7 pound rifle
UPS 3day $49
UPS 2nd day air $65

Box size : 40/8.5/4 inches box
17 pound rifle
UPS 3day $42
UPS 2nd day air $58

7 pound rifle
UPS 3day $24
UPS 2nd day air $38